Translate

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Must-have clay tools



All right, it's time I tell you my favorite tools.
The first one is a tie between my bendy blade and my pin. The blade is just a rectangle of super-sharp metal that slices clay like bread. It's fantastic. The pin is like any sewing pin, but it's a more decorative pin, I believe- it has a ball at the end that is perfect for smoothing or texture (I use it to make indentations on hamburger meat).
My two other favorites are my trusty if cheap pasta machine and my shorter double-ended blade tool. The pasta machine (a.k.a. pasta roller or clay conditioning machine) was $20 at Michaels, not a bad deal, but the handle keeps falling off. As long as you keep the handle in, though, it works great. Plus, it's handy for transportation when you can easily just pull the handle out- it halves the size. The shorter blade tool is a triangular blade at one end and a curved blade at the other. I bought it for carving freestyle shapes out of flat clay- like carving the top of a crown out of a rectangle. Something that would be harder to do with a bendable blade, that might cut you while you try to hold it.

So, those are my tools, and if you have any favorites of your own, please comment and share! And you get Awesomeness Points if I then go out and buy that tool!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments or questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...