Translate

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cooking clay

Before I get into the real stuff, I have a blibbet to say about cooking clay. I use Sculpey III, exclusively, but no, I don't usually set the temperature below 300 degrees F. That's right. I cook my own way. BTW, I use a toaster oven, whatever that matters. I usually set it between 300 and 325 degrees F, because it cooks much faster, in a matter of minutes. The only issue is you have to watch very closely to make sure it doesn't burn, but goodness, does it speed things up. The minute you open the oven and smoke comes out, it's good as gold.
I actually only started doing that awhile ago when I misremembered the directions on the pack of clay and thought it meant 375 instead of 275 degrees F. I burned quite a few clay pieces then. But soon I got the hang of it, and realized how much faster upping the temp. made it.

Just one thing to say about translucent. Now, I just started using the stuff, and it's my experience that it won't get so translucent if you cook it in a chunk (mine was an unkneaded house-shape, cut directly from the pack), but when sliced thinly, it gets very translucent and looked overcooked while the house-shape was still cooking. So be careful.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments or questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...