Translate

Sunday, March 18, 2012

First big sculpture!



I'm pretty excited about this new project I'm working on. I know it's been a while since I've posted, and I do have pictures and things, so I'll try to keep this up. I had the idea recently that I would try a larger sculpture, outside my range of miniatures. I was inspired by a YouTube sculptor, TheBroodingTom (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBroodingTom?feature=g-user-u), who frequently does this sort of thing.

Anyway, I'm sure you would like to know what I'm doing. I'm trying to sculpt Absolem, the blue caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland, one of the greatest book/movie series' of all time, in my opinion. I'm going to do him and his hookah, sitting on a 'mushroom,' which is really a wooden base I bought at Michaels. I'm gonna make him & his hookah out of clay and the tube for the hookah will be the sort of thin pipe you find on fish filters (I think they sell those separate at PetsMart) and I'll probably order his monocle online. I want it to be as accurate as possible.

I've so far gotten the armature done, all completely from scratch. I attached the wire to the base (which I painted white) with short screws, positioned it, and filled it out using LOTS and LOTS of foil. I then covered it with tape. After this, I will cover it with Super Sculpey, two layers, before beginning the real color clay. It doesn't look like much now, but it's only the armature, after all. It must be done before the real stuff starts.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments or questions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...